Charity Miles App -is an impressive app that allows you to support a charity close to your heart while engaging in exercise. The application is compatible with both iPhones and Android devices, ensuring a broad user base.
Table of Contents
Gene Gurkoff initiated this app in 2012, and since its inception, it has raised millions of dollars for various organizations like Habitat for Humanity and Alzheimer’s Association, among others.
The concept is simple yet powerful: whether running, walking, or biking, the app donates money to your chosen charity for every mile you cover. Just launch the app, select a charity, and start your activity to make a difference.
Although the app boasts millions of downloads, some user reviews have been mixed
Whether you’re driven by the desire to contribute to charitable causes or simply intrigued by the idea of being rewarded for walking, it’s worth exploring how the app operates and whether it aligns with your interests and values
How it Works Charity Miles App
Upon opening the app, you’ll be presented with a wide array of organizations to support, including Every Mother Counts and Alzheimer’s Association, among others. With numerous charities available, you’re sure to find one that resonates with your values. At the time of writing, the app offered around 60 different charities for you to explore and choose from.
Then, whenever you go for a walk, jog, or bike ride, the app tracks the miles you cover, and sponsors will donate money to your chosen charity based on how far you go. As long as you’re moving and the app can track you, then your charity will win.
If you have an iPhone, the app syncs with the Health app, so all your steps and miles get recorded automatically.
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.
If you have an Android device, however, the progress is tracked by your phone’s pedometer sensors. Again, this means it’s tracked automatically; however, for more accurate readings, you can also use the Strava app, which can be synced with devices like Fitbit and Garmin and then sent to Charity Miles.
So many people love using Charity Miles because it’s an easy way to stay fit and help a good cause at the same time. You can even join different clubs to compete on leaderboards and see how much impact you’re making. And the best part is, you get to choose your charity, so it feels personal and meaningful.
How Much Can I Earn Charity Miles App?
According to the company, the process is simple. For each mile you walk or run, you will earn 25 cents, while biking will earn you 10 cents per mile. Additionally, there’s no need to fret about the money transfer as Charity Miles takes care of that aspect for you.
How You Earn Money for Charity Miles App
There are two additional ways to earn money through the app:
- Friends and Family Sponsorships/Donations: You have the opportunity to seek sponsorships from friends and family for each mile you run, walk, or bike. By sharing your sponsorship page with them, they can pledge donations to support your cause.
- Employee Empowerment Program: Certain companies offer programs that sponsor their employees through Charity Miles to back their selected charities. If you opt for this option, you’ll need a specific code provided by your company to participate.
Getting Started Charity Miles App
Getting started with the app is a straightforward process. You can sign up using your name and email or opt for a quick signup through Facebook. It is important to grant the app access to your location for it to function properly.
Before beginning any activity, select a charity from the list, which includes prominent groups like the World Wildlife Foundation and the Alzheimer’s Association. Then, indicate whether you’re running, walking, or cycling. As you move, the app will track your progress.
One noticeable aspect is the lack of a clear “start” button to initiate tracking, which can be a bit confusing. Instead, you’ll see your speed and distance, along with ads from sponsoring companies. After completing your activity, press the red button to view a summary of your distance and the donation generated. However, some users have reported occasional issues with tracking accuracy.
- Charitable Concept: Users appreciate the opportunity to donate to charity simply by exercising.
- Variety of Charities: The app offers a wide range of charities to choose from.
- Motivational: Many users find the app motivating for their exercise routines.
- Responsive Support: Charity Miles’s support is praised for its responsiveness.
- Inaccuracy: A significant number of users have reported inaccurate activity tracking, leading to either overestimation or underestimation of distances covered.
- Crashes and Glitches: Some users experienced app crashes, launch issues, or random restarts, resulting in the loss of tracked miles.
- App Deterioration Over Time: Long-time users observed a decline in app performance and reliability over the years.
- Background Operation Issues: The app may not track accurately if another app is opened or if the phone is used for other functions.
- Battery Drain: Certain users reported rapid battery consumption while using the app.
- Syncing Issues: Some users encountered problems syncing with other apps like Strava or faced difficulties with the app’s internal sync mechanisms.
- Support Responses: While some received prompt support, others expressed dissatisfaction with the solutions or explanations provided for issues.
- Advertising Interference: An ad can occasionally reset mileage, leading to discrepancies.
- Date and Time Inaccuracies: The app sometimes displays incorrect date and time information, affecting user streaks and milestones.
Considering these factors, it’s essential to weigh the app’s pros and cons and determine if it aligns with your preferences and requirements.
In conclusion, Charity Miles won’t directly earn you money, but it provides an opportunity to raise funds for charities you deeply care about. If contributing $0.25 to your favorite charity for every mile you walk appeals to you, this app could be worth considering. It’s more of a “feel-good” app rather than one that boosts your finances.
Among the various apps that pay you for walking, Charity Miles stands out as one of the best choices for those interested in supporting charitable causes. While it shares some common problems with other apps, it is a prominent player in the field. Although there’s room for improvement, keeping track of your steps will generally yield satisfying results.
That wraps up the review for now.
As always, if you’d like to share your experience or provide comments, please feel free to do so below.